Monday, August 27, 2007

Windy, but straight - Winder Street

Lest you think all trade is Durban is informal...... Winder Street is the home of both residents and business.

Continue down this street you will arrive Durban's South Beach - and the Indian Ocean. The buildings furthest from us are on the beachfront.
Go to the right and you'd reach the harbour entrance. Of course you'd need to walk, because this is a one-way road coming towards us.

Unless I concentrate, my mind plays with, and sometimes provides strange explanations for new words. When I first heard the name"Winder Street", the image moved between a very winding road, and winds howling down the road. Well, as you can see the road is dead straight, and although it can be very windy in that area, this is not the reason for the name.

Does anyone know how this street got its name? I have no doubt it has the name of someone significant in our history, and when I find out, I'll let you know.

No comments: