Sunday, September 30, 2007

Durban is just down the road.


From a pedestrian bridge over Berea Road, you can see the concrete jungle which is the city center. Ok, close up, it's not entirely a concrete - there are a number of small gardens, and many small trees are allowed to grow along some of the roads, giving it a welcoming feel.


The hill in the background it the Bluff. The barely visible, little smudge rising above the hill is the harbour control tower. For a better view of this, and some perspective of this shot, take a look at an earlier picture of the harbour mouth.

Travelling up towards us, Berea Road becomes the N3 the main road to Johannesburg.

2 comments:

MAVOVO said...

Albeit your beautiful photo of the entrance into my homecity,DURBAN has made me homesick,THANK YOU for posting these wonderful pictures of DURBAN ~ the city of sand, surf, fun and sun.

The picture of Berea Road takes me down memory lane! Many, many years ago, as a Zulu urchin,early every Saturday morning I rode an Indian-owned bus that ran down this very road. It was my weekly duty to go fetch our weekly family order of meat and boerewors from a butchery that's a stone's throw away from Berea Road. The name of the butchery was "Old Dutch Road Butchery" Later, in the late sixties I drove up the same road on my way to and from a Chesterville School at which I taught.
NGIYABONGA KAKHULU!
I'M VERY GRATEFUL!
EK IS BAIE DANKBAAR!
John (Edmond, OK - USA)

CrazyCow said...

John, thank you so much for your lovely comment. I'm really pleased you're enjoying the blog.

Talk about a small world. When I was young, we lived just around the corner from the "Old Dutch Road Butchery", in a small road called "Bewsey Grove".

Old Dutch Road is still there, and I think the butchery building is also still there, but it is no longer a butchery. Bewsey grove is no longer a road. The whole block is the Technicon.