Saturday, April 19, 2008

Idle cranes.

Idle cranes in Durban harbour are an appropriate picture for today's news.

During this week a shipment of arms destined for Zim was blocked from being offloaded in our port, firstly by harbour staff refusing to do the job, and then legally by the high court. As a result the ship suddenly left Durban. So I guess they'll try another port, and I hope they don't get that one right.

So, why do I care? The reason is the results of what was supposed to be a democratic election in Zimbabwe 3 weeks ago, still have not been released, because it will mean a change of goverment and president, and the outgoing president is not prepared to give up his place after 28 years in power. In my opinion, adding arms to this situation would be a disaster for the country.

Hats off to those who have taken a stand in support of democracy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear it was turned away at Durban - good on everyone for refusing to accept it. The shipment has made the news here, though I've not heard yet if it has managed to be offloaded anywhere.